Friday, May 17, 2019

Future of Education

The future of education is present on the internet

I am not talking about MOOCs or SPOCs.

It lives on Youtube and Reddit servers, financed by their ad revenue. 

For example, if I want to learn Data Science I could enroll in some online courses... 

Or... I can dive in and start doing the work to develop the skills I need immediately. By watching youtubers and commenting on insider news I become a peripheral participant in the community of practice where I can freely test real algorithms on real data. When I start building a project I have interest in I can ask questions, share my challenges and accomplishments in chat communities on slack, discord, or twitter. To build clout in the python community, I can make some commits; or the R community, other commits. I can read open source code and follow leaders like these two from #Rstats Hadley Whickam and  David Robinson. The more serious I get, the more resources I discover.


Why pay for an expert's subjective structuring of content when you can structure your own learning based on your own personal interest and passion projects for free?



If you are unfamiliar with the youtuber 3b1b (Grant Sanderson) and/or his recent pi day video screenshared above. Experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment